Awesome April of Beltway
Over the past six years of Boxing Along the Beltway, there has been a noticeable pattern — April is typically one of the busiest months for boxing and boxers of the year. That trend holds true in 2012, where there will be a number of Beltway Boxers who will be involved in bouts throughout the month.
Unfortunately, it must be pointed out, that most of the bouts will take place outside the area, but still many of them will be in either driving distance or can be seen via television. Here’s what we have (so far) in the 2012 edition of the “Awesome April of Beltway Boxing.” (all dates and bouts can change without notice)
- Saturday, April 7 — L.B. Scott Auditorium St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles — Former WBO and current NABF Junior Welterweight champion DeMarcus “Chop Chop” Corley will battle for the vacant IBO title against Luis Ernesto Jose. The matchmaker on this card is a familiar name — “The Boxing Diva” Renee Aiken.
- Saturday, April 7 — DeSoto Civic Center, Southaven, MS — “The Beltway Boricua” Dusty Harrison takes on Reggie Nash on the James Toney-Bobby Gunn card.
- Friday, April 13 — Waldorf Jaycees Community Center, Waldorf, MD — Regional Golden Gloves Championships.
- Saturday, April 14 — Bally’s Event Center, Atlantic City, NJ — Cambridge, MD junior welterweight Dontre King (6-9, two KO’s) tries to improve on his three-bout winning streak when he faces undefeated Naim Nelson (5-0) of Philadelphia, PA.
- Wednesday, April 18 — Robert Treat Hotel, Newark, NJ — “The Berlin Bomber” Joshua Snyder returns to action to face Richard Pierson in an eight-round main event. Also, DC-based heavyweight Maurice “Freight Train” Byarm is scheduled to return on that card.
- Friday, April 20 — National Guard Armory, Philadelphia, PA — Undefeated Suitland, MD cruiserweight Venroy “Hard Work” July will be in a six-round contest against Pedro Martinez.
- Friday, April 20 — Beau Rivage Resort and Casino, Biloxi, MS — Salisbury, MD middleweight Fernando Guerrero returns against an opponent TBA in an eight-round contest.
- Saturday, April 21 — Don Haskins Convention Center, El Paso, Texas — Gary Russell, Jr. in a Showtime-televised eight-round bout against Dat Nguyen.
- Saturday, April 28 — Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, NJ — Seth Mitchell in a 10-round HBO-televised bout against Chazz Witherspoon.
- Saturday, April 29 — Mesquite, NV — National Golden Gloves Tournament of Champions begin.
*Image credits – Patrick G Ryan